Monday, August 13, 2012

For Perusal Purposes

Just finished a week of mom and two weekends of guests (which totally kicked ass) (but left me a bit tuckered out) ('cause we stay up all night and dang it, the kids still want to get up and eat in the morning), so I thought I would share a list of cassette tapes I found in my apparently never-ending quest to go through all of my schtuff from my childhood.  Just in case you need some ammo to make fun of me, here is a list of what I've found so far, divided into nifty categories for you:


I Have No Memories of These, Maybe They Belong to My Parents?:
  • Heart - Brigade
  • Henry Lee Summer - I've Got Everything
  • Foreigner - Agent Provocateur
  • Somewhere in Time - a soundtrack?
  • Michael Bolton - The One Thing - pleaseletthisbemoms, pleasepleaseplease

Bought for One Song:
  • Will To Power - Baby I Love Your Way
  • Bryan Adams  - So Far So Good - Summer of '69.  Just kidding, clearly this was for Everything I Do.  I was obsessed with Robin Hood and probably saw it three times in the theater.  I was too young to drive so someone's mom was "suffering" right along with me.
  • Richard Marx - Repeat Offender - Right Here Waiting 

Singles, Probably Didn't Have Enough $$ To Buy Whole Album:
  • Paula Abdul - Straight Up
  • Paula Abdul - Cold Hearted
  • Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer
  • Keedy - Save Some Love
  • Glenn Medeiros featuring Bobby Brown - She Ain't Worth It
  • Amy Grant - House of Love
  • Billy Ray Cyrus - don't make me say it
  • Shanice - I Love Your Smile
  • Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch - Wildside
  • Ini Kamoze - Here Comes the Hotstepper
  • Xscape - Understanding
  • Lisa Loeb - Stay

Whole Albums, Probably Choreographed Dances to Most of the Songs:
  • MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em - U Can't Touch This.  'Nuff said.
  • Richard Marx - Hazard - who grows up in a small town and doesn't want out?
  • Starship - Knee Deep in the Hoopla - This is the cassette with the song Sara on it, so I had at least seven copies at one point, teenage boys thinking they were being original
  • Boyz II Men - Christmas Interpretations
  • Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
  • Today's Hot Movie Hits - I Will Always Love You, Unchained Melody, A Whole New World, Everything I Do, Dances with Wolves theme, Beauty and the Beast theme, My Girl theme, Unforgiven theme, Can't Help Falling in Love With You (these were performed by a cover band.  I don't think I ever realized that) (until just now)
  • Madonna - I'm Breathless - Dick Tracy was one of the first movies I got to see sans parental units 
  • Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl - I had a bit of a thing for Paula
  • Color Me Badd - CMB
  • En Vogue - Funky Divas - can you tell I am finally getting fundage from somewhere to buy my own music?
  • Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel
  • Miami Sound Machine
  • Young Guns II
  • and the ultimate tape, that I knew the words to every single song although I had NO IDEA what most of them meant - George Michael - Faith

And of course my NKOTB oeuvre:
  • NKOTB - Hangin' Tough (x2)
  • NKOTB - Merry Merry Christmas
  • NKOTB - Step by Step

Mix Tapes:
  • Kathryn's Late '80's tape that seems to feature Wham, Mr. Mister, Kenny Loggins, U2 and more - I have no idea who Kathryn is
  • Commercials - uhh, had to learn how to tape from the radio somehow
  • Love Will Find A Way - from unrequited boy crush
  • Real Love I - Side A - I Don't Have the Heart, Side B  - How Can I Fall - these came from a boooooyfrieeeeeend
  • Real Love II - Side A - Real Love, Side B - My Lovin'
  • Dazzy Duks - Knockin' Boots, Whoop! Dazzey Duks, Hot Sex, One Last Cry, Weak, Freak Me, Slam, etc
I really should be ashamed of these, but come on, it was the late '80s and early '90s.  I don't have the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment